The Perfect Chocolate Thumbprint Cookie
Have you ever wondered and wanted to know how to make the perfect chocolate thumbprint cookie? Look no further than right here. Sure, it seems like a simple enough recipe to master, but maybe you’re a novice baker and are looking to start off with something a little more your speed, a little easier. When baking, follow the instructions, but also find a way to add your own twist to the recipe, to make it feel like it’s truly yours. This recipe here is a favorite among many, however, this one instead includes a dash of Nutella. Nutella is a sweet chocolate treat with just a hint of hazelnut and is sure to make this classic cookie even more delicious.
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 25 mins
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large yolk
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup plus 2tbsp flour
1/3 cup chopped chocolate
Nutella for filling
1. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
2. Add egg yolk, vanilla, salt and mix.
3. Add flour and beat on low speed.
4. Add chocolate.
5. At this point, you can freeze the dough for up to a month if you want.
6. Form dough into balls.
7. Place on parchment paper or a silpat baking sheet.
8. Make a “thumbprint” impression and fill with Nutella.
9. Place in freezer for 15 minutes.
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes (adjust baking time according to altitude).
Notes: This is a very easy dough to make ahead, freeze and then make when you need it. The recipe also lends itself very well to doubling or even tripling if you need to make a big batch. And of course, you can use the end of a wooden spoon or other utensil, to make the thumbprint impression. I used my icing kit to fill the cookies – much cleaner and easier than spooning Nutella into the cookies.
Whichever filling you decide to use for your own recipe, like earlier mentioned, be sure to make it your own. There’s no right or wrong way. Even if you’ve gone the traditional route, don’t be afraid to start a new tradition.